Wednesday 26 July 2017

~Review~ What I Was by Meg Rosoff

*SPOILERS*

Title: What I was
Author: Meg Rosoff
Publisher: Penguin
Rating: 2/5


Unnamed narrator falls in love with a boy beside the beach
He goes to St. Oswald’s, a private school for boys, his third school. He skives class and goes down to the beach, where Finn, a mysterious boy with no past, is waiting for him. He feels safe there, and even starts to slowly fall in love with Finn.


What I think:
I gave What I was 2 stars because the middle is boring and the ending is totally unrealistic. The middle is just about the narrator skipping class and going to see Finn, every single day. It doesn’t even skip days, or weeks, just day after day after day of the exact same thing! *SPOILERS START HERE ~ STOP READING*  The ending isn’t believable, as everyone finds out  about him and Finn spending time together. Also Finn turns out to be a girl. Everyone accuses him of having sex with her, because they found clothes on the floor, when actually he got soaking wet in the sea, and had to change. Just because a 14 year old girl and 16 year old boy are spending time together doesn’t mean they’re having sex. A case opens up about this, which I find totally unrealistic. *SPOILER OVER.* Most of the reviews I read about it were saying how unbelievable it was and how boring it was, so I wasn’t expecting much.
I would read others again by Meg Rosoff, as I’ve heard it’s only What I was that was poor. Suitable for 13+, girls and boys.





No comments: