Monday 2 January 2017

Books I love; 2016 edition




    It is now 2017, and I was thinking about books I read in 2016. I read loads of good ones, but some stood out more. Such as The Dream Snatcher by Abi Elphinstone and the second book in the series, The Shadow Keeper*. I thought that these stories were fast paced and full of adventure. I got the privilege of meeting Abi during the Edinburgh Book festival, where she signed my books.  Also, to tie in with the theme of adventure and excitement, I loved Alfie Bloom and the Secrets of Hexbridge Castle, and the second one in the trilogy Alfie Bloom and the Talisman Thief*. All books mentioned in this paragraph were exciting and the authors have lots of imagination.



The Moonlight Dreamers by Siobhan Curham was relatable for most teenagers, as it's about four girls being misunderstood.  Also Girl out of Water by Nat Luurtsema, about a socially awkward teenager who finally accepts her tallness. Both books focus on accepting yourself and not letting others get you down.


Kitty Slade series by Fiona Dunbar and Has anyone seen Jessica Jenkins? by Liz Kessler*  are about girls with powers. Kitty Slade sees ghosts and has to help them and Jessica Jenkins can turn invisible when wearing a special necklace. I decided to group these together as they are about magical powers and dealing with them.

Girl with a White Dog by Anne Booth, Butterfly Summer by Anne-Marie Conway and Tangled Secrets by Anne-Marie Conway are very moving and sad. In Girl with a white Dog, Jessie learns about Nazi Germany and how it impacted on her family, right up to the present. Butterfly Summer and Tangled secrets are about sadness when a loved one dies.


I enjoyed reading them and hope you will too!

* I haven't reviewed it yet




No comments: